Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Carrot and Rice Soup

This is the easiest soup, and I love it because it is so colourful and hearty even though it has hardly any ingredients. My Mum gave me this recipe, and it has been a staple of my student days even since I left home.

INGREDIENTS
(serves 2-3 hungry people as a main dish)

500g carrots, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
sprig of fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
4 cups stock
4 Tbsp rice (white or brown ok)

(for a spicier version, use 3 cloves garlic, and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp allspice, and a handful of fresh coriander)

METHOD

1. Sweat the veges and herbs (and spices, if using) in a small amount of olive oil for 15 mins or so until softened.
2. Add the stock and the rice and simmer until everything is very tender.
3. Puree in a blender (though I've even eaten it unblended in a pinch).
4. Serve hot. Optional addititions include oat or soy creamer, or rice milk, and/or cashew nuts on top. Also good with herb and garlic toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment