Monday, May 28, 2012

Udon!

I wanted udon, I wanted them bad. I wanted seven spice udon, like I remember seeing in the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook and had always planned to make. Unfortunately, my udon craving hit me in New Zealand, while my VYY book is in storage on the other side of the world! Oh noes. I knew I would miss it. I remembered that the recipe had udon, Japanese seven spice, and finely chopped brussel sprouts and grated carrot. I didn't have any seven spice, but I was undeterred. Seven spice is pretty much garlic, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chilli, pepper, orange peel and seaweed. Here follows my improvisation. When reunited with my beloved cookbook, we will see how it compares.

(feeds 3-4)

INGREDIENTS

2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds (or some sesame oil instead)
1 tsp chilli flakes
zest of 1 orange
2 tsp seaweed flakes (like wakame or nori)
1 tsp pepper (sechuan pepper if on hand)

2 large cloves garlic
350g brussel sprouts, shredded
3 handfuls haricot beans, topped and tailed
2 zucchini, chopped into thin sticks
3 carrots, grated
3 small packets pre-cooked udon
3 Tbsp soya sauce
2 Tbsp mirin

cooked marinated tofu (i.e. teriyaki, or the delicious Bean Supreme stuff)
chopped toasted almonds (optional)
chopped spring onions

METHOD

First, make your delicious seven spice! Take poppy seeds, sesame seeds, orange zest and seaweed and dry roast in a pan on the stove for a few minutes until it all smells roasty. Keep an eye on it, don't let it burn! Remove quickly from the pan when ready, as they can burn even when you turn off the heat. Put aside.

Stir fry the brussel sprouts, zucchini and beans with a little oil, in a wok on high heat. When nearly done, add carrots and sesame oil (if using), udon, soya sauce, and mirin. Stir everything around until all heated and cooked, then season with the roasted components of the seven spice, together with chilli flakes and pepper. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and spring onions, and serve with tofu.


***** BONUS YAKISOBA IMPROVISED RECIPE *****

I made yakisoba in a similar way with similar veges (slightly bigger bits of carrot, and broccoli cause it's yum) but instead of seven spice I seasoned it with soya sauce, mirin and Rocket Fuel sauce. Stirred everything through soba noodles and ate it with vegetable tempura and miso soup with soft tofu in. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment